Friday, October 10, 2008

Stick-ing to It?

One of my main goals for this year is to get organized. We are looking to develop a daily rhythm and figure out how we are going to learn, live and grow together as a family.

So chores are a natural extension of this. With 3 little boys, taming the mess is a must. Bethany and I are working on re-creating the chore charts that we had growing up. I'm so very excited about this since it is picture based, making it easy for those pre-readers to know what they are to do and keep on task.


In the meantime, I ran across this idea here and here. I love "to-do" lists and look forward to passing on the obsession!

Xander had fun painting the sticks to represent "to do's" for different times of our day. He loves selecting a colored stick and then doing whatever it says to do. After completing that task, he gets to turn it upside down in the jar! To make it light, some of them are just for fun. I think I might collect an arsenal of these to rotate thru!


So far, I think the favorite activity is clearing and wiping the table down!

Here's what we have:

Blue - Post Breakfast "to-do's"

  • get dressed
  • make bed
  • clean room
  • brush teeth
  • clear/wipe table
  • hug someone
Green - Post Lunch/Pre-nap "to-do's"
  • clear/wipe table
  • put toys away
  • practice his Bible verse
  • "thankful for ___"
  • go potty
Red - Post dinner/pre-bedtime "to-do's"
  • clear/wipe table
  • put toys away
  • brush teeth
  • go potty
  • "I love you because _______"
Am I missing anything? What chores did you or your kids do at this age? Some just for fun one's that I might rotate thru include: do 10 jumping jacks, Sing a song, do a cartwheel...


Ok, it's late and I'm fresh out of ideas. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative. I'm sure it helps make chores exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ideas! Especially the fun "chores" you've added like giving a hug. Now I just need some little workers...Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Intensity is in charge of putting away the silverware (from dishwasher) in the morning. It's a great, age appropriate "sorting" activity. Of course this means I have to remember to run said dishwasher at night. :)

    He is also responsible for folding all the wash cloths/ hand towels - and does this during "quiet room time."

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhhhh, thanks Julie for the ideas. Xander does love putting the silverware away, but we too have the problem of not running the dishwasher on a nightly basis. Maybe we should start doing sticks too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea. better than a list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this idea, Heather!
    My kids made these today and I linked you to my blog.

    ReplyDelete